Leslie Jones, ‘Ghostbusters’ star, ‘not a fit’ for Hollywood designers

LOS ANGELES – Ghostbusters star Leslie Jones’ recent online lament about having trouble finding a designer to dress her for the film’s premiere points to the challenges actresses face when it comes to walking red carpets in style.

While one nice tux might carry a male actor through many a premiere, it’s customary for female stars to show up in new attire for every photo opportunity, which makes finding fresh, fashion-forward outfits for such occasions a time-consuming task, especially for women larger than a size 2.

“It’s so funny how there are no designers wanting to help me with a premiere dress for movie,” wrote Jones on 桑拿会所, who is 6 feet tall. “Hmmm that will change and I remember everything.”

READ MORE: Rebel Wilson says she gained weight to get famous

But for designers, it’s not just about their star clients fitting into smaller sizes, said celebrity stylist Nina Hallworth. It also has to do with creating a mutually beneficial partnership between the clothier and the star.

“It is about how a designer wants to be represented as an artist,” Hallworth said in an interview. “We have worked with women who are sample sizes and incredibly well known and a designer will say no to that collaboration as creatively it is not a fit — even if we think it is.”

As it turned out, designer Christian Siriano responded to Jones’ call on 桑拿会所 last week and agreed to make her gown. He said in a statement that he’s a fan of the actress and her work.

“I can’t wait to create something special for her to wear,” the statement said. “I support all women no matter age or size!”

“It shouldn’t be exceptional to work with brilliant people just because they’re not sample size,” Siriano wrote on 桑拿会所. “Congrats aren’t in order, a change is.”

He followed up later in the week with photos of Jones visiting his studio.

It’s not clear how long Jones had been seeking a dress for the premiere, but she hasn’t been alone.

Other actresses outside the size-2 landscape have said it can be hard to find designers to work with, even for high-profile events. Melissa McCarthy said that when she was invited to the Oscars after the success of Bridesmaids, she couldn’t find anyone to make her a dress.

“I asked five or six designers — very high-level ones who make lots of dresses for people— and they all said no,” she told Redbook magazine in 2014.

READ MORE: Social media reacts to Melissa McCarthy on cover of ELLE

McCarthy has since launched her own clothing line and she helped design the dress she wore to this year’s Golden Globes.

Bryce Dallas Howard, who wears a size 6, said she bought her own gown off the rack for the Golden Globes, as she does for most Hollywood appearances.

“I like having lots of options for a size 6, as opposed to maybe one option,” she told E! News on the red carpet. “So I always go to department stores for this kind of stuff.”

Hallworth notes that designers who loan their dresses might have specific demands for how they’re worn.

“Free clothes can come at a cost to your own authentic style,” she said. “If you own those pieces, you own your image and can wear things in a way that speaks your narrative, not the designer’s.”

It comes down to an actress establishing a personal, individual look, she said, which then becomes a magnet for designers.

“Collaboration between designers and actors is symbiotic,” Hallworth said. “A great image can last a lifetime; a bad one longer.”

Whether you agree with Hallworth or not, one thing is certain – the conversation on the subject will likely continue on 桑拿会所. Here are just some of the tweets that have popped up amid the debate.

Visualization by Graphiq

ChangSha Night Net


Ottawa girls’ lemonade stand shut down for not having permit

An Ottawa lemonade stand operated by two little girls was shut down on Sunday for not having the proper permits.

The lemonade stand, where seven-year-old Eliza Andrews and her five-year-old sister Adela were selling lemonade on Sunday, was shut down by an official from the National Capital Commission, according to a report by CBC News.

ChangSha Night Net

Related

  • North Vancouver kids set up lemonade stand to help Fort McMurray wildfire evacuees

  • WATCH: Texas police shut down girls’ lemonade stand due to lack of permit

    The girls were selling lemonade to passing cyclists on a median next to NCC-operated Colonel By Drive, a road that is closed to motorists on Sundays during the summer for “Sunday Bikedays”.

    The girls’ father, Kurtis Andrews, told CBC that although the NCC officer was polite, “I think that they need to relax a bit. I understand that they have to manage their properties but at the same time we’re talking about a five and seven-year-old raising money for camp.”

    According to the National Capital Commission Traffic and Property Regulations, “no person shall sell or offer or expose for sale any drink, goods or wares,” without written permission from the NCC.

    In an emailed statement, the NCC said it apologizes to the Andrews family for the inconvenience and met with them Monday “to see how we can support these two young entrepreneurs going forward.”

    “Given the location of the lemonade stand, the Conservation Officer acted in good faith in applying the federal land use rules in place,” wrote the NCC. “However, we believe the situation could have been handled differently. Children’s lemonade stands are a time-honoured summer tradition that contributes to a lively Capital and the NCC wants to encourage these activities whenever possible.”


Canada Post ‘extremely disappointed’ with union offer

Hope for a quick resolution to the labour battle between Canada Post and the union representing 50,000 of its workers seemed to dim on Monday as the Crown corporation released a blistering statement in response the union’s latest offer.

Canada Post said it was “extremely disappointed” in the response from the Canadian Union of Postal Workers (CUPW) at the bargaining table in recent days.

ChangSha Night Net

“Late Friday evening, CUPW tabled offers that would add at least $1 billion in new costs over the term of a new collective agreement while rejecting the Corporation’s approach to address the long-term issues with the employee pension plan,” said a statement released Monday morning.

Canada Post also accused the union of demanding the reversal of several changes that had already been agreed to in the last round of negotiations in 2012.

READ MORE: Canada Post work stoppage: What are the negotiations about anyway?

In spite of the fact that the two sides appear to remain far apart on numerous points, talks are reportedly continuing in the hopes of negotiating a deal.

Canada Post spokesman Jon Hamilton said the company has not given the required 72 hours’ notice of a lockout, nor has the union given notice of any job action. Both sides remain at the table and Hamilton said he hopes they can reach an agreement that is “affordable and reasonable.”

WATCH: Small businesses fear higher costs as Canada Post work stoppage looms

Changes to employee pension plans have been a key sticking point. Canada Post made new contract proposals about a week ago, and the union presented a counter offer on Friday.

That offer included wage hikes and rejects Canada Post’s plan to have new employees get a pension plan that operates like an RRSP instead of the defined benefit plan for current employees that guarantees a set level of retirement benefits.

READ MORE: What you need to know if service stops

Hamilton says Canada Post has expressed frustration over the union’s proposal, which he says “puts us in the exact opposite direction of where we need to be as a company.”

On Saturday, the union called the wage increase offer presented by Canada Post last week “an insult.”

If no deal is reached, the two sides are now in a position to either strike or begin a lockout, which could disrupt mail services to Canadians across the country as early as Thursday if a 72-hour notice is served today.

The deteriorating status of the negotiations has been aired publicly in a series of statements issued on websites and to the media over the last few weeks.

With files from the Canadian Press.


RCMP shoot at arson suspect who reportedly charged at them, SiRT investigating

RCMP say a 55-year-old man is in hospital after being shot by police officers who say they were threatened.

Authorities in the Annapolis County detachment were called to a home on Parker Mountain Road in Hillsburn, Nova Scotia, after receive reports of a man with a gun at about 1:15 a.m. Monday.

Police say they were looking for a suspect in an arson earlier that evening that burned a home and RV. Police say the homeowner’s truck was stolen as the suspect tried to flee.

The man reportedly drove toward officers in a threatening manner, at which point the officers on scene shot at him.

The suspect was arrested and taken to hospital suffering from what’s described as non-life-threatening injuries to his torso.

Neither officer was injured in the incident.

Officials say the RV at the home was intentionally set on fire, with the fire eventually spreading to the home.

The Serious Incident Response Team (SiRT) has been called to lead an investigation into the matter and are currently on the scene in Hillsburn.

SiRT confirms that the only gunfire came from RCMP officers, the suspect did not return fire.

Two firearms were used by police, investigators say.

SiRT is asking anyone who may have witnessed anything related to the incident, or who have any relevant information, to contact them at 902-424-2010 or 1-855-450-2010.

With files from Natasha Pace. 

ChangSha Night Net


Queen Elizabeth gets her own fashion show at Buckingham Palace

LONDON – An unprecedented peek into Queen Elizabeth‘s royal wardrobe is taking place this summer at Buckingham Palace.

As part of the monarch’s 90th birthday celebrations, the Royal Collection Trust announced Monday that visitors will be treated to a special exhibition of the queen’s outfits, entitled: “Fashioning a Reign: 90 Years of Style from The Queen’s Wardrobe.”

READ MORE: IN PHOTOS: Queen Elizabeth II and family mark 90th birthday with parade

The exhibition will feature a wide range of clothes from the queen’s childhood to the present day, including ball gowns and military regalia.

The display will also include the outfit designed by Angela Kelly and worn by the Queen and for the wedding of Prince William and Kate Middleton in 2011.

A total of around 150 outfits will be shown, with similar displays taking place at the Palace of Holyroodhouse and Windsor Castle.

Queen Elizabeth celebrates her 90th birthday

01:47

Queen Elizabeth celebrates her 90th birthday

02:10

Queen Elizabeth celebrates her 90th birthday

02:31

Three days of celebrations to mark Queen Elizabeth II’s 90th birthday

01:44

Queen Elizabeth’s comforts of Buckingham Palace—;while in Toronto.

01:17

Queen Elizabeth receives custom birthday cake from UK reality TV star

01:45

Queen Elizabeth II to spend day at Windsor Castle on her 90th birthday

00:38

Prince William recalls time Queen Elizabeth got very angry with him



ChangSha Night Net